Thursday, June 24, 2010

My Top 10 Favorite Foods For Fat Loss




My Top 10 Favorite Foods For Fat Loss


Notice the title reads “favorite” foods and not “best” foods.
We can debate what is best and go around in circles all day. Here are my ten favorites in no particular order. . . take ‘em or leave ‘em. But try to eat a lot of them…
1. Spinach: When I’m trying to get lean I eat a spinach salad at least once per day. Often times twice per day, for both lunch and dinner. And yes, for convenience sake I buy the bagged kind. You have to eat your green leafy vegetables for fat loss. And really for overall good health . . . you can’t beat spinach in my book.

2. Broccoli: If I’m not eating spinach for lunch or dinner, then I’m probably eating broccoli. I’m not a fan of the taste of raw broccoli. Instead I stir fry, blanch, or microwave for two minutes before eating. How ever I cook it, I only cook it a little bit. Nothing is worse than over cooked wilted broccoli. Yuk!

3. Almonds: Yes, almonds are calorically dense. But they are also convenient to pack, easy to store, and a snap to count. If I go into a carb craving state while I’m trying to get lean, the first thing I do is eat a few almonds. How few? I find that 6 – 10 is about right for fat loss. And I love the fact that they count out easily for food journaling purposes!
4. Apples: If an apple a day keeps the doctor away, it’s no wonder I can’t pay attention to the health care issue going on these days.
I eat at least two apples every day. Often I eat three or four per day. And five is not out of the question. Like almonds, apples are easy to pack and store and I personally find them quite filling when hunger attacks. And the variety is awesome! Red Delicious, Gala, Granny Smith, Fuji, and my personal favorite of late. . . Pink Lady.

5. Tuna: And I mean canned tuna. Don’t get me wrong, tuna steaks on the grill are great. But if you haven’t caught the common thread here, I like my food to be easy to pack and store. I’m a busy guy, often working from 5:30am – 9:00pm. So convenience is a huge factor when it comes to eating for fat loss for me.
6. Celery: I’ve read that celery actually has a negative caloric impact in that the digestive process burns more calories than was present in the celery. I have no idea if this is true or not. And I really don’t care. What I do care is that celery has a great crunch when i want to munch on something and goes great with some almond butter if I feel the need for a few more calories.
7. Eggs: Although they still get a bad rap occasionally for cholesterol, I’m a big fan of the incredible edible egg. Yolks and all. I like mine scrambled with some green pepper and onion. A great source of protein and low on the calorie count. . .

8. Chicken: The bird is the word! I don’t even know what that means, but it seemed a fine way to open up the chicken description. I prefer mine to be skinless white meat and I like it grilled or stir fried. Baking is fine too, but my oven has been broken for like two years. . . . .
9. Blue Berries: If you are stuck on the fact that you need a “shake” for protein or other purposes, throw some blue berries in there for sure. Me, I just eat them out of the carton with some almonds or pecans and maybe a little bit of pineapple.

10. Olive Oil: Whether I use it for stir fry or as the base ingredient for salad dressing, I’m always draining my bottle of olive oil. I prefer the extra virgin olive oil for both taste and nutrient content. . . .
Honorable Mention: Dark Chocolate. Oh yeah, I eat me some dark chocolate. Damn near every day, whether I’m trying to get lean or pack on muscle.
Eating a small piece satisfies any sugar craving I might be having and the caloric content of the size piece I’m talking about is too small to make any detrimental impact. And they say (who ever “they” may be) that dark chocolate is packed with anti-oxidants. Well if there are anti-oxidants in there, whoopee! I’m eating it for the taste and the pleasure. Anti-oxidants are bonus.

No comments:

Post a Comment